Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
I love Cream of Broccoli soup but the fat and calories do not like me. This is a lower fat but great tasting recipe to use. Keep in mind that if you use homemade chicken broth, remove the fat first ( let broth cool then skim off the fatty topping)
Top Review by *Parsley*
This is a great quit-fix broccoli soup. I added the optional carrots and was happy with the color and subtle sweetness they added. I don't think I'd use the parmesan next time, since it's not a very good melting cheese for soup. I'd probably just use a small handful of 2% cheddar next time. I'd also add some cornstarch dissolved in the milk to thicken this, since it was very thin. Thanx for posting!
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-fat chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 1⁄4 cups broccoli, chopped include the stems
- 1⁄2-1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup pecorino cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, cut up (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, water, broccoli and onion (carrots if using) and bring to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 15 minute.
- (if you choose you can puree 1/2 or all of soup mixture at this point in a blender) I do 1/2 as I like the chunks of broccoli in my sup.
- Slowly add evaporated milk to soup mixture or med.-low heat stirring as you add. Add pepper and cheese.
- Let cool a few minutes then serve.
- add additional pepper to taste.
- this is good as a left over as well.