Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I personally dislike broccoli, but I can eat the whole pot of this marvelous soup! HINT: If you add a good dose of Garam Masala it gives the soup oomph without detracting from its flavor.
- Melt butter in saucepan, add onion, carrot and celery.
- Saute gently until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Trim the woody ends of the stalk and peel.
- Roughly cut up heads and remaining stalk.
- Add broccoli to pan with chicken stock, milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- When broccoli is tender, transfer vegies to a blender.
- Blend on high until all ingredients are smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Heat until lightly boiling and thickened.
I made this a little more low fat by using olive oil instead of butter, fat free, low sodium chicken broth, and evaporated skim milk. Still very delish!!!
FABULOUS!! Probably the best soup I have ever made! I omitted the celery simply because I didn't have any, used half & half instead of milk, and added some ground cayene pepper for a little zing. I like my soups a little on the thick side, so I added a tablespoon of corn starch (mixed with a little cold water) at the end. It thickened immediately! I served it with some shredded cheddar cheese on top and the entire family loved it! THANK YOU!
My entire family and all of my guests loved this soup. I must admit that I made a few changes, though, but liked the basic idea. I put the brocoli, onion, and celery in a pot and just covered it with water/chicken stock, the seasoning,I also added a little cumin and cooked it all until it was tender. I then let it cool and processed it all. I then added the butter and I used cream since I am allowed on my Atkins diet and just warmed it. It was delicious. We will be eating this again very soon.