Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I am not a huge fan of broccoli but I do love this soup. It's so good, that I don't even mind the broccoli. I hope you will try this quick and easy to make dish. I promise, you will not be disappointed, my granddaughter loves this soup.
- 1 bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sweet, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 cup milk
- Parboil the broccoli 5 minutes.
- Saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato, broth and spices, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Next add the broccoli and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Process with a food blender until smooth.
- Return to pan and add the milk, heat to boil, serve warm and enjoy.
- You may garnish with shredded cheddar if desired.
Yummy soup!!! I made this as written, except for adding some black pepper, for my lunch today. I am also not a huge broccoli fan but love broccoli soups. I liked that this is a lower fat version and uses a potato as the thickener. I did use 2% milk and opted to top it with some cheddar cheese, yum!! I used my small Ninja blender/chopper and it really purified the soup, so next time I would use something less powerful or only add part of the soup to the blender, so I would have some chunks/texture in the soup. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe BK. Made for Went to the Market Tag Game.
I think the parboiling helps keep the lovely green color for this soup. I probably would add more potato next time, for just a bit more body to the soup, and perhaps add some additional herbs - just a personal preference. Topped with croutons and shredded cheddar, this warmed us up on a cold evening.