Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another delicious soup created around a basic soup base.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, combine the chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, bay leaf and garlic powder.
- Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetable is tender. .
- Remove bay leaf.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or till smooth. Take care when blending hot liquids. Pour into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture; set all aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk all at once, whisking till smooth.
- Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the blended vegetable mixture.
- Cook and stir till soup is heated through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
This really hits the spot. Great flavor and texture. I reserved about 1 cup of the soup and left that unpureed. I garnished with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Yummy! Thanx for posting.
Right out of the BH&G cookbook, but still a great recipe. I've been making this for years and always add cheese when the soup is reheating.
I am beginner cook and I have to say this was very easy to follow...as well as Delish! thanks! :)