Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this in the Easy Cooking card collection that I have. I have fixed it once, and loved it, then proceeded to forget about it. Since discovering Recipezaar, I have been culling through all the cooking info, recipes etc that I have and came across this again. So, here it is!
- In a large saucepan, mix and bring to boil broth and soup.
- When it is boiling, add broccoli and bring to second boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked.
- In medium skillet, heat butter and sautee onions for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute longer. If necessary, use whisk to remove lumps.
- Slowly stir milk into flour mixture in skillet.
- Cook, until thickened, stirring constantly. It will take about 5 minutes, then add salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Stir milk mixture into broccoli mixture and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheese.
This soup is great and east to make. I matched the flour and butter--1/2 cup each and added some spices--pepper, nutmeg, celery powder, and garlic. What a great taste and it was nice and thick!!!:):)
Delicious! I pureed the soup in the blender. I had saved out some of the chopped broccoli to add back to the soup at the end for some texture. My family loved it. I'll be making it more this winter.