Recipe by Kayne
I found this in the Easy Cooking card collection that I have. I have fixed it once, and loved it, then proceeded to forget about it. Since discovering Recipezaar, I have been culling through all the cooking info, recipes etc that I have and came across this again. So, here it is!
Top Review by Mommies2
This soup is great and east to make. I matched the flour and butter--1/2 cup each and added some spices--pepper, nutmeg, celery powder, and garlic. What a great taste and it was nice and thick!!!:):)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, mix and bring to boil broth and soup.
- When it is boiling, add broccoli and bring to second boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked.
- In medium skillet, heat butter and sautee onions for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute longer. If necessary, use whisk to remove lumps.
- Slowly stir milk into flour mixture in skillet.
- Cook, until thickened, stirring constantly. It will take about 5 minutes, then add salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Stir milk mixture into broccoli mixture and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheese.