Recipe by grandma2969
this is really good! sometimes I like to puree some broccoli and have chunks as well..and use cubed, boiled potatoes instead of shredded..choice is up to you..I also like a little bit of "heat" in the seasoning..so I might add a couple dashes of hot sauce
Top Review by Freydom
Oh my!!!! This was yummy!!!!!! I think the recipe is missing a few steps, but we figured it out! The only thing I changed was the amount of broccoli. I used 2 cups fresh (could have added more!) and kept the liquid amount the same. The shredded potatoes were GREAT!!!! I'm getting rid of my old broccoli soup recipe!!! Thanks for the great soup!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups shredded raw potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- fry bacon in deep skillet.remove slices, drain and reserve.
- Add to the bacon fat, onions, potatoes, salt and boiling water.cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Last 5 minutes, add the broccoli that has been pureed with the cup of water in the blender.
- Melt butter and cook till thickened .add to broccoli mixture and heat.
- Add pepper and accent.
- crumble bacon in fine pieces.
- Can be added to soup or sprinkled on top for garnish.
- may use 6 medium potatoes for the shredded potatoes --
- takes about a cup of fresh broccoli.