this is really good! sometimes I like to puree some broccoli and have chunks as well..and use cubed, boiled potatoes instead of shredded..choice is up to you..I also like a little bit of "heat" in the seasoning..so I might add a couple dashes of hot sauce
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups shredded raw potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- fry bacon in deep skillet.remove slices, drain and reserve.
- Add to the bacon fat, onions, potatoes, salt and boiling water.cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Last 5 minutes, add the broccoli that has been pureed with the cup of water in the blender.
- Melt butter and cook till thickened .add to broccoli mixture and heat.
- Add pepper and accent.
- crumble bacon in fine pieces.
- Can be added to soup or sprinkled on top for garnish.
- may use 6 medium potatoes for the shredded potatoes --
- takes about a cup of fresh broccoli.