Recipe by Virginia
I ate some cream of broccoli soup somewhere then came home and made this up. You can substitute grated cheddar if you are a purest. We are Velveeta kind of people.
Top Review by Leta
An excellent recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup! I made this for a meeting and served it to about 40 women...a tough review crowd. I think the phrase I heard most often was, "This is the best Broccoli Soup I have ever eaten!" I must have handed out at least 20 recipes. I used cheddar cheese in place of the Velveeta...other than that I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you Virginia!
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 -2 cup Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 cups milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop broccoli in small pieces.
- Put broccoli, onion and celery in small saucepan.
- Add 1/2 water-cook slowly about 3 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Put Velveeta on broccoli mix,to let melt.
- To make white sauce-----------.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add flour and stir.
- Raise heat.
- Add milk til desired consistency.
- Pour broccoli mix and white sauce together.
- Simmer on low a few minutes and serve.
- Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons of Dijon mustard.