Recipe by Michail
Food of the Gods! I have used many recipes from this great site so I feel obligated to return something, so I am posting my favorite dish (a well kept secret until today, all my friends beg me for it!). Try it, you will love it! PS: I have also made the same recipe with other main ingredients (cauliflower, tomatoes, etc.) and they came out great as well, but not as divine as broccoli.
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 and 1/4 cup)
- 1 celery, chopped (about one-half cup)
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, chopped (about 1 and 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, heated
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate broccoli into stems and florets. Trim away tough outer parts of stems. Set aside 1 cup of small florets for garnish. Coarsely chop remaining florets and stems.
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, leek, and chopped broccoli. Cook -- stirring frequently -- until onion is translucent, 6-8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, 4 minutes.
- Add broth to pot gradually, whisking to work out any lumps of flour. Bring soup to a simmer and cook, 45 minutes. Stir frequently and skim as needed.
- Strain solids, reserving liquid. Puree the solids, adding liquid as necessary to facilitate pureeing.
- Combine puree with enough reserved liquid to achieve the consistency of heavy cream. Strain soup through a fine sieve (optional). Return soup to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil reserved broccoli florets until just tender.
- Remove soup from heat and add heated cream. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve in heated bowls, garnished with florets.