Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You say, "NUTMEG" and I think "BAKING". But I was so wrong. Just a small amount in this soup makes such a difference. I honestly don't remember where I saw this recipe as it was a few years ago.....but it is so good. Its EASY....QUICK....FLAVORFUL....and best of all....all the ingredients are in the pantry or freezer, of most of us, to throw together at a moments notice.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cook broccoli, onion, and broth for 6 mins in your soup pot.
- In saucepan, melt butter, flour, and salt together.
- Add milk, cream, and nutmeg to butter/flour mixture.
- Heat to a cream sauce consistency.
- Add sauce to the broccoli mixture in soup pot.
- Serve Hot.
This was a great recipe and so easy to make. I used fresh broccoli, and increased the flour to 5 T. I also like this soup a little thicker, so I kept the light cream at 2. cups, but reduced the milk to one cup. I know some people like cheese in their soup, but I am fine without adding it. My husband said he didn't like cream of broccoli soup that much, but when he tasted this recipe, he loved it!
I enjoyed this very much. I added a little extra nutmeg because I love what nutmeg does with cream sauces/soups. The soup was just a tad bit too thin for me. I think I'd cut the milk down to 1 cup next time, but otherwise make it as written. Thanx for a great lunch!