A very thick, traditional soup made with fresh broccoli and 2% milk.
Make and share this Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onions in the margarine until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook (but do not brown) for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Whisk in the milk, reduce heat and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the broccoli florets into small pieces, place in a small saucepan with the broth (or water) and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until tender (about 6-8 minutes).
- As the milk mixture thickens, stir in the slices of American cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the broccoli is tender, add it (including the cooking liquid) to the thickened cheese mixture. Stir well to combine and serve immediately.