Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
saving dinner, winter, week 6 Serving suggestions- big salad and whole grain rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes, from leftovers
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a soup pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onion.
- When onion is translucent add broccoli and chicken broth.
- Cook until broccoli is tender, about 3 minutes or so.
- Add mashed potatoes, mixing well until incorporated.
- Heat for 5 minutes, then add milk and bring back up to temperature.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Tasty. I love that this recipe uses leftover mashed poatoes for thickening and ingredients I can pronounce. Cheddar does not melt smoothly, and adding at the end rather than making a smooth sauce in the beginning leaves the soup with stringy bits of cheese. Next time I'll make a simple sauce with butter and flour, then milk, before whisking in the cheese and continuing with the soup. Thanks for sharing!
I've made this a number of times. My family really enjoys this.