Recipe by Barb in WNY
This recipe is from of a bunch of recipes to be tried.
Top Review by Food Snob in Israel
Okay, this is actually 3.5 stars and for my husband it might have been over 4 stars. I felt that this was very creamy (as in heavy in the cream, in all fairness, we did use full cream milk) and not so heavy in the cheddar. I couldn't taste the cheddar and the broth was white, not yellow (the color of the cheddar) The brocooli puree tasted excellent, well flavored by the chicken broth (I used a veggie chicken broth), I could have added some salt at this stage or used a stronger broth, as this is the bulk of the flavor for the soup. But when added to he butter/flour mixture (I used whole wheat) and then the milk and cheese it just wasn't so flavorful. It was more of a broccoli flavor and not enough of the cheddar flavor, for me. I also seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was sauteed onions. Or onion salt. Or garlic. I don't know....but it was just missing something. If you are a broccoli or a milk lover, then this is the soup for you. If you were looking for interplay between cheddar and broccoli flavors, then this is not the soup for you. Too bad. I was looking for the latter. On a positive note, though, my hubby (a milk/cream LOVER) gobbled this down and said it was delicious, even chasing after me to tell me so.
- 1 lb fresh broccoli (about 1 medium head)
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean broccoli, chop florets and thinly slice stems.
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine broccoli and chicken broth; heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes, or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Transfer, one third at a time to a food processor. Process until fairly smooth.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add flour. Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly. Add milk and pepper; heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add the broccoli puree. Stir in cheese until the cheese melts (do not boil), stirring constantly.