Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from of a bunch of recipes to be tried.
- 1 lb fresh broccoli (about 1 medium head)
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Clean broccoli, chop florets and thinly slice stems.
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine broccoli and chicken broth; heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes, or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Transfer, one third at a time to a food processor. Process until fairly smooth.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add flour. Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly. Add milk and pepper; heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add the broccoli puree. Stir in cheese until the cheese melts (do not boil), stirring constantly.
Okay, this is actually 3.5 stars and for my husband it might have been over 4 stars. I felt that this was very creamy (as in heavy in the cream, in all fairness, we did use full cream milk) and not so heavy in the cheddar. I couldn't taste the cheddar and the broth was white, not yellow (the color of the cheddar) The brocooli puree tasted excellent, well flavored by the chicken broth (I used a veggie chicken broth), I could have added some salt at this stage or used a stronger broth, as this is the bulk of the flavor for the soup. But when added to he butter/flour mixture (I used whole wheat) and then the milk and cheese it just wasn't so flavorful. It was more of a broccoli flavor and not enough of the cheddar flavor, for me. I also seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was sauteed onions. Or onion salt. Or garlic. I don't know....but it was just missing something. If you are a broccoli or a milk lover, then this is the soup for you. If you were looking for interplay between cheddar and broccoli flavors, then this is not the soup for you. Too bad. I was looking for the latter. On a positive note, though, my hubby (a milk/cream LOVER) gobbled this down and said it was delicious, even chasing after me to tell me so.