4 hrs 20 mins
There are many places to vary the recipe. It is a very rich soup with the addition of half and half cream, about a quart, at the final addition of vinegar and sherry. The soup is great as it appears above in the recipe without any changes, and gets even better the next day, and the next, in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb black beans (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 (14 1/2 fluid ounce) cans chicken broth, about 8 3/4 cups
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1Heat oil in 5 qt dutch oven or heavy sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add bacon, onions, and celery and bring to a simmer.
- 3Reduce heat to medium.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally,30-40 minutes until vegetables are very soft and lightly browned.
- 5Add garlic.
- 6Pick over beans,remove bad ones, rinse and drain.
- 7Add beans to pan with cayenne, cumin, and broth; bring everything to a boil over high heat.
- 8Reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- 9Cook until beans mash easily,about 3 hours.
- 10Skim fat from the soup and discard.
- 11Allow soup to cool slightly and then puree small portions at a time in food processor or blender.
- 12Soup must be cool enough not to crack the pitcher.
- 13Also, be sure to do in small batches Return soup to pan and cook over medium-high until very hot.
- 14Remove from heat, stir in vinegar and sherry.
- 15Serve with condiments.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 880.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 12.0 g