Recipe by newfie wanna be
This soup is very yummy. Tastes like a cream soup but there is no cream. Very simple to make.
Top Review by Koechin (Chef)
I have made thuis recipe for years. It was in the paper when we still lived in Milwaukee. However I do not throw out the asparagus bottoms, but simmer them in the chicken broth with a bay leaf while the rest is getting ready. I then use the strained broth to complete the recipe. it does make a difference Koechin
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tips off of 12 asparagus (1 1/2") and set aside.
- Discard cut bottom ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus stalks into 1" pieces.
- Cook onion and asparagus in oil in large fry pan over medium heat, stirring often till softened (I cover the pan).
- Pour this into large sauce pan.
- Add broth and simmer on low medium about 15-20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender (3-4 minutes).
- and drain.
- Puree soup in a blender (or hand blender) until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with asparagus tips.