Recipe by Carol Bullock
A creamy, yet low-fat soup. I have substituted all kinds of vegetables for the asparagus when making this - including broccoli, cauliflower and potato.
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
Okay I did something a little weird with this. I needed a dairy free replacement for the canned cream of whatever soup. So I left out the asparagus and half of the liquids (broth and milk) so that it would act like condensed soup. It was really great! I'll be using this every time I need the cream soups. Thanks so much Carol!
- 1 bunch asparagus (frozen works fine)
- 1 large onion, sliced in large slices
- 1 -5 clove garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper
- Chop the asparagus (if using frozen, steam or microwave it a little first), reserving the tips.
- Put the asparagus, onion, garlic and broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Put contents of saucepan into blender.
- Add the flour, soy milk, soy sauce and basil.
- Process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and add the asparagus tips.
- Cook over medium heat until the soup thickens and is heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper and serve.