1/1 Photo of Cream of Asparagus Soup
This recipe is originally from Williams- Sonoma. The original recipe calls for onion, but when I made it I used shallots. I didnt trust the onion not taking over the delicate flavor of the asparagus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups mild vegetable stock
- 3 lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces-reserve tips
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped well
- 2 cups heavy cream
- white pepper
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter.
- 2Add the shallots and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes-do not brown.
- 3Add the stock, the cut asparagus minus 18 tips, potatoes and basil.
- 4Raise the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- 6In small batches puree soup in a food mill, blender or food processor.
- 7If using a blender or processor force puree through a strainer with a wooden spoon-this removes any asparagus fibers.
- 8Return puree to the pan, stir in cream and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- 9Stir well, simmering for 3 minutes.
- 10Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 11Into a pan of salted, boiling water cook asparagus tips for 2 minutes.
- 13Ladle soup into bowls and crown each bowl with 3 asparagus tips each.
- 14Serve hot or chill and serve cold, again adjusting seasonings.
- 15TIP-when serving creamed soups they are never boiled once the cream is added, so heat the serving bowls with very hot water, pour out, quickly dry and ladle in the soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Asparagus Soup
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.8
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 302.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 12.8 g