Recipe by GinnyP
A satisfying soup. Reheats well, too.
Top Review by Michelle S.
If you love asparagus this soup is a MUST make! It is very creamy and the asparagus flavor is fantastic. I did need 1 c. more chicken stock as mine cooked WAY done during the asparagus cooking, but other than that it was foolproof and perfect. That you Ginny for the sublime soup!
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends snapped and cut into pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour (or regular flour)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put asparagus and stock into a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until asparagus is very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes, Set aside 2 cups of the broth; keep warm.
- Puree asparagus and remaining broth in blender; return to pot and set aside.
- (I puree in batches) Melt butter in a medium heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly with a wire whisk for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in reserved warm broth.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to pot with asparagus puree.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Slowly add half-n-half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.