Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A satisfying soup. Reheats well, too.
Make and share this Cream of Asparagus Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Put asparagus and stock into a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until asparagus is very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes, Set aside 2 cups of the broth; keep warm.
- Puree asparagus and remaining broth in blender; return to pot and set aside.
- (I puree in batches) Melt butter in a medium heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly with a wire whisk for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in reserved warm broth.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to pot with asparagus puree.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often.
- Slowly add half-n-half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you love asparagus this soup is a MUST make! It is very creamy and the asparagus flavor is fantastic. I did need 1 c. more chicken stock as mine cooked WAY done during the asparagus cooking, but other than that it was foolproof and perfect. That you Ginny for the sublime soup!
Delicious! I went looking for cream of asparagus recipes after a wonderful appetizer soup I had in a restaurant on New Years Eve. This soup is fabulous, but I'm going to take it one step further like the restaurant version that I had, and add a sprinkle of crab meat on top! If u like crab also, try it! It's a winning combo! Thanks GinnyP!
If I had more stars to give, I would. Unfortunately there are only 5. This was absolutely the best. I used 2 boxes of chicken stock, which is 8 cups, but I put in a bit extra asparagus. I used my immersion blender which works out so quick. It turned out fantastic, I had raving reviews over it. I was told not to ever lose this recipe. It was so creamy and flavorful. I found it so easy and quick to make. I thought it would be missing something because there is only salt and pepper in it, but what a mistake that thought was. It was perfect, restaurant quality in fact. Thank you so much for posting this recipe Ginny