Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Quick and easy, this tastes like spring!! A lovely first course for your holiday meal, or to have any time you get a craving for asparagus. You can garnish this with whatever you like (sliced scallions, sour cream, etc.)
Top Review by glwhitney
I really enjoyed this soup and so did my family . I actually got my 7 year old to eat it ! I sauted the veggies in double the amount of butter . I doubled the amount of cream. I also used all chicken broth , no water . I added a litItle more salt and more pepper for an extra kick. Thanks for posting . I will be using this recipe often.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim asparagus and chop coarsely.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and lightly golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until asparagus is very tender. Remove saucepan from heat.
- In a blender, at low speed (with center part of cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend soup mixture in very small batches until very smooth. Pour blended soup into large bowl after each batch.
- When finished blending, return soup to saucepan. Stir in heavy cream and heat through. Spoon soup into 4 bowls and serve.