Based on a recipe from Michelle Garner’s cookbook, Quick French Cuisine. She says, “I adapted this from my aunt Cécille’s recipe. She would make large batches and freeze it.”
- In a 4-quart pan, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook just until soft and golden; do not brown.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut 3 inches of tips off asparagus and set aside.
- In food processor or blender or by hand, slice remaining asparagus into ¼-inch pieces.
- Drop pieces into boiling broth. Cover and simmer until very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, and then puree soup in blender or processor.
- Return soup to pan.
- Add asparagus tips and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and a drop or two of lemon juice.
- Serve warm or cold.