Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
How satisfying is a velvety cream soup on a cold day? here is a sure-to-please recipe that is simple and delicious.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup 35% cream
- salt and pepper
- sour cream, to garnish (optional)
- paprika, to garnish (optional)
- Wash and remove the tips from the asparagus. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the asparagus is barley tender. Rince under cold water. Drain and set aside. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1-inche pieces. set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan. Saute the onion and celery over medium heat until the onion is translucent (about 2-3 min.) add the uncooked asparagus stalks and the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let soup cool! Using an emulsifer (hand-held "blender") or in batches in blender, blend until smooth.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until blended. Slowly add the cream, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and add the stock. Keep stirring until the soup has thickened. Do not let this boil! Just before serving add the reserved asparagus tips to heat through. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each serving with sour cream or a sprinkle of paprika.
Lovely creamy soup. My asparagus was very stringy so I used a fine mesh sieve to remove the strings. Great soup. I added just a smidge of shredded mozza on top. Made for Aus/NZ recipe swap # 29
Wonderful!!! I love this soup! just happened to have everything on hand so I'm eating as I type. Do try this if you love asparagus. Very easy.