Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you have the time and energy, fresh artichoke hearts may be used. Canned artichokes are fine.
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- lemon slice (thinly sliced)
- Bring 1 cup of chicken stock to a boil over med-high heat in a saucepan.
- Add in artichokes; lower heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add in onion, celery, and garlic; stir/saute 5-6 minutes.
- Add in flour; stir until bubbly.
- Add in artichoke/stock mixture and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and process until chunky (may have to do this in batches) (also may use a stick blender).
- Return to saucepan; add in remaining stock, half-and-half, salt, and pepper; simmer 5-10 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and float a lemon slice on top.
- Note: for a richer soup, reduce stock to 1 1/2 cups and increase half-and-half to 1 cup.
This recipe looks so delicious.I try the one pick on gourmetrecipe.com last week and it was so delicious. Looking forward to cook it for my dinner tomorrow.
Delicious! I used vegetable stock, and added a bit of lemon juice. The only problem was the canned artichokes I used, they made the soup a bit stringy, but that can be avoided by removing the tougher leaves before using them.
Absolutely great soup...I brushed some French bread with garlic/butter mixture, browned it on the grill to accompany and it was 5 stars all around.