Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
"Souper" Easy and Sooooo Good! Here is a quick easy recipe for those times you need a good meal or meal compliment. Add your favorite sandwich and crackers or eat as a meal.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter (margarine contains too much water and you won't get the same result.)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk (use skim milk for a lower fat alternative)
- 4 chicken stock cubes or 4 teaspoons chicken stock
- 2 -3 cups vegetables (or whatever combination you desire)
- In a soup pot, Melt 1 1/2 Tbs of butter (Do not burn it!).
- Add 1 1/2 Tbs of flour.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir it together, it should look like a thin dough.
- If it looks too thin you can add a little more flour, but be careful not to add too much or your soup will taste bland no matter what you do to it.
- Stir around for about 5 minutes (DO NOT BURN!!) If you accidentally burn it, throw it away and start over.
- Add 4 cups of milk, blend well (a wire whisk works great for this).
- Add 4 cubes or 4 tsp granulated chicken stock, dissolve and blend well.
- Add 2-3 cups of vegetables, cooked chicken, etc.
- Simmer for 30 minutes stirring frequently, soup will thicken, do not allow it to boil and do not burn it.
Thanks for posting this, Christy. I will use a salt substitute since I am on a low salt cardiac diet. All the store-bought cream soups are loaded with sodium, so I can't have them. Thanks again.
I was making chicken with stuffing and wanted cream of mushroom soup, so this was perfect! This went right to the top of my list of favorites to use whenever I need a cream of soup!
Wonderful Soup. I added carrots, onion, snow peas, green pepper, potatoes and whatever else I could find in my fridge to use up. This was just what I was looking for. I added garlic and a bay leaf. Thanks, just what I need for tonight and it had great flavor.