Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Now you can make your own Cream soup base as an alternative to canned soups.
- 1⁄3 cup dry soup mix (mushroom, leek, onion, etc)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry chicken soup base or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 1 dash dried dill weed
- 1 dash celery salt
- Mix dry milk, cornstarch, soup base, onion flakes, thyme, dill and celery salt.
- For equivalent of 1 can cream of chicken soup combine and heat 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cups water.
- For equivalent of 1 can cream of mushroom soup combine and heat 1/3 cup dry mix, 1 1/4 cups water, 2 ounces finely chopped mushroom pieces and 1 teaspoon salt.
- For equivalent of 1 can cream of celery soup combine and heat 1/3 cup dry mix, 1- 1/4 cups water and 1/8 cup celery flakes.
Beautiful! This solves all my dilemas with recipes that call for cream of mushroom soup, which due to allergies I can not eat, my new go too! I always have all this stuff in the house but do not always have cream soup! Thanks so much! Used it tonight for recipe 153173 Pork chops and gravy!
I used this recipe in a Tator Tot Casserole using ground turkey. I omitted the celery, dill weed and thyme. My 10 year old son actually made this casserole and he enjoyed making it. Great recipe and not nearly as expensive as store bought!!!
It works well if I understood the ingredients correctly- they seem to appear twice in a row, and the recipe title is listed as an ingredient as well. It tasted good and worked well in my casserole.