Recipe by Carol in Oregon 2
These are so wonderful! When strawberries are at their best, we really enjoy this treat.
- 30 jumbo strawberries
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- additional powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the strawberries in cold water.
- Drain well, then hull.
- FROM POINT, split each berry into quarters, but DO NOT cut through bottom.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in top of double boiler with electirc mixer until well combined.
- Place over boiling water; beat at medium speed until mixture is thick and forms soft peaks when beater is slowly raised (about 5 mixutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately set top of double boiler in bowl of ice; continue beating until mixture is cool (about 2 minutes).
- Let stand in ice in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine the powdered sugar and whipping cream in medium bow, but DO NOT BEAT.
- Chil the mixture and beaters for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chilled cooked mixture and cream mixture from the refrigerator and combine.
- Beat until stiff.
- Using a pastry bag with decorating tip, fill each strawberrie with the cream mixture, bringing the cream mixture to a peak at the top.
- To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and arrange on a mound of crushed ice.