Recipe by aksingingbreeze
I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website. It takes a little longer to prepare than most coffee cakes since you have to allow for rising time, but it is by far the best coffee cake I have ever had and well worth the extra prep time it takes!
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 to 115)
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 eggs, well-beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk, butter 1/3 cup sugar and salt; stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside. Mix yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, milk mixture, yeast and eggs; beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning one to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping.
- Combine sugars, flour and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Pat or roll each half to fit a greased 9-in. cake pan.
- With a fork, pierce entire cake top.
- Divide topping and sprinkle over each cake.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- For filling, combine flour and milk in a saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- In a mixing bowl, cream remaining ingredients until well-mixed. Add flour mixture and beat until fluffy.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally; spread each with half the filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.