Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "An Armenian Evening", Good Food Magazine, October 1986. Prep time does not include chilling time. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces phyllo dough, thawed if frozen (16x12-inch sheets)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Stir cream, milk, cornstarch, and 2 T. sugar together in medium saucepan until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened and boiling, 3-4 minutes. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat. Let stand 30 minutes to cool. Place piece of plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a little melted butter lightly over bottom and sides of 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cut phyllo crosswise in half. Cover half the sheets with lightly dampened kitchen towel and set aside. Place 1 phyllo sheet in cake pan and fold over 1 edge to make it fit. Brush lightly with butter. Repeat layering and buttering remaining half of phyllo sheets.
- Spoon filling onto phyllo and spread evenly almost to edge. Top with reserved phyllo, folding edges and brushing with butter as before. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Using sharp knife, score top in diamond pattern, making cuts 2 inches apart and 1/4-inch deep or almost to filling. Brush top of phyllo with remaining butter.
- Bake baklava until top is crisp, golden, and puffed, about 35 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Heat 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in small saucepan to boiling. Stir in lemon juice and simmer 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, then pour over still-warm baklava. Let cool completely. Cut into diamonds and arrange on serving platter.