Recipe by Kewlgranny
I love cornbread with soups & chili or anything else I can think to serve it with. I have even served corn bread for breakfast. One evening while preparing the corn bread recipe I use on the back of the Quaker Corn Meal box I found myself inspired to add ingredients and what resulted was the following. It was so good I just had to share.
Top Review by Merlot
Oh my, oh my! What a great recipe. We absolutely loved the addition of the can creamed corn and chili peppers (I used mild). The cream corn gave it a moist texture and a sweetness to it. Can't wait to make ths again. Yum! Thanks for sharing, Lucysgirls.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canned chili peppers (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Grease (spraying Pam is my 1st choice) an 11" (8 cup volume) oven proof casserole dish. (I use the deep dish baker from Pampered Chef.).
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Gently blend in corn, pepper, onion, and chili peppers.
- Pour into the casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let set at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Cut into 12 wedges.