Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I admit that I have never had a real pierogi, but I took samplings from many different casserole recipes, added some of my own touches and called it YUMMY. I hope this recipe gives the humble pierogi the respect that it deserves.
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes or 3 cups leftover garlic mashed potatoes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, raw and diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles, 18 noodles,cooked and drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Beat the mashed potatoes with the Cheddar cheese and softened cream cheese.
- Saute the bacon and onions in the butter.
- Add 1/3 of the onion mixture to the potato mixture and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Generously grease a 9"x13" casserole pan.
- Place a layer of lasagna noodles (6 noodles) in the bottom of the casserole, then spread half of the potato mixture over the noodles.
- Repeat the layers and top with the remaining 6 noodles.
- Pour the remaining onions, bacon and any pan drippings/fat over the top of the noodles.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and/or chives.