Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of our favorites....
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or whatever you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese (reduced-fat OK)
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- Spray a 9x13" glass casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, in a large pot.
- Drain, rinse, and return to the large pot.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour, and cook until bubbly (about a minute).
- Add the milk slowly, stirring after each addition and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the cream cheese, again stirring until completely melted.
- Season with salt.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully pour the cream cheese mixture over the pasta, stirring gently to combine.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish, top with bread crumbs if desired, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
This is a delicious recipe for mac and cheese. It's a great way to get a really creamy texture without having to used processed cheese food.
my husband said this is THE best homemade mac and cheese he's ever eaten. I followed directions exactly, except I only had HALF a box of elbow noodles, but I used exactly the same amounts for everything else and just put it in an 8x8 dish. Breadcrumbs are a definite! YUM!
I LOVE THIS RECIPE. It is my go too. I made this for a 40th birthday party and added garlic powder, caramelized onions & peas since it was mainly adults. I was surprised that everyone made such a fuss over macaroni & cheese. Then I tasted it. REAL GOOD. Thank you.