Totally addictive appetizer! Dill pickle rounds are the center of attention when wrapped in a blanket of cream cheese spread deli meat. An interesting appetizer I wanted to try after chef EnJenn3 described it in Topic of the Month thread. I searched and was surprised that the recipe wasn't posted here. I found different versions of it on Allrecipes and Cooks.com. I took both versions and spliced them together, based on my previous experience making similar appys, and here you have it. Herb-flavored spreadable cream cheese could also be used instead of regular. I got about 5-6 pickle rounds out of each pickle, but it will depend on how big they are to begin with.
- Using paper towels, gently pat the pickles and the meat slices dry.
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream & horseradish (if using), together in a small bowl.
- On a cutting board, or clean surface, lay out 1 slice of deli meat (if the meat is sliced thin enough to have holes, use two slices, one on top of the other) and gently spread with cheese mixture.
- Lay one pickle along the edge of the meat and roll up tightly.
- Repeat with remaining meat, cheese & pickles, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, slice pickles into 1/2-3/4 inch rounds with a sharp knife.
Everyone I described this recipe to thinks it will be awful, but once they taste it.....its a winner!! I used regular roast beef, but next time I am going to try cajun roast beef.....I think that will make these even better!! Perfect combination of creamy and salty.....wonderful football food. Thanks for sharing!
I have been obsessed with this appy for well over 15 years now, ever since having them at my grandfather's 80th birthday party (I had had them before that, but that is when the obsession started LOL) I have a fridge full of homemade pickles so didn't really want to have to buy any for this but none of the ones I had were whole pickles. So a couple weeks ago I bought a few pickling cukes and tossed them into a jar of Classic Dill Pickles (Refrigerator) that was already made. Once they were sufficiently pickled I made them into this awesome appy! I halved the recipe but only needed about 3 oz (light) cream cheese (no sour cream) and I had to use two slices of ham per pickle (slightly overlapped) because they weren't big enough slices to get all the way around LOL I found a serrated knife worked best for slicing. Thanks so much for sharing this so I could make them (and not have to share with *anyone*! Hehehe!)