Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "Loca Luna" restaurant in Little Rock, Arkansas. Taken from Bon Apetit. This looks decadently ooey and gooey and rich!
- 1 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces,room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup caramel topping
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter and flour 13x9x2-inch metal cake pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup pecans over bottom of pan.
- Combine cake mix, 1 1/4 cups water, oil, and eggs in large bowl.
- Using electic mixer, beat at low speed until mixture is moistened, about 30 seconds.
- Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Melt buttter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Gradually stir in powdered sugar (mixture will form clumps); stir in cream cheese.
- Whisk until smooth, about 1 miute.
- Pour cream cheese mixture in large ribbons atop cake batter in pan.
- Using knife, swirl mixture into batter (do not overmix).
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center (in cake part only) comes out clean, about 50 minutes (bottom of cake will be very moist).
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup pecans over cake.
- For Icing: Mix sugar and cocoa in medium bowl.
- Bring milk and buter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add powdered sugar mixture and whisk until melted.
- Add chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Mix in vailla.
- Drizzle warm icing over cake.
- Let stand until set, about 2 hours.
- Drizzle caramel topping over.