Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In an effort to make a side-dish for my Atkin's friendly dinner guests, I came up with this. I thought it was good, not great, but everyone else seemed to love it. If you can improve on it, please let me know!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Halve zucchini lengthwise.
- Scoop out middle (seeds and some meat) of zucchini.
- Chop tomatoes and scallions, or any other vegetables you would prefer to use.
- Blend together flavored cream cheese and regular cream cheese. A mixer works best, but this can also be done by hand.
- Add chopped vegetables to cream cheese and mix.
- Scoop or pipe cream cheese mixture into hollowed-out zucchini and place in casserole dish.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the top of the cream cheese is starting to brown/stiffen.
- NOTE: Some moisture will be released during cooking and the zucchini will still be firm after 15-20 minutes. You may cook longer, but the cream cheese will start to liquefy.
I have an abundance of zucchini at the moment and thought I'd give this a try. When I looked at the recipe I decided it needed something extra to entice the children to eat it. I added 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper 2tbsp of parmesan cheese and instead of scallions which I didn't have added finely chopped green capsicum. I thought they were good and the children ate them (always a good sign) but feel next time I may add some nutmeg or even better some italian seasoning to the cheese mix stuffing.
Made this tonight and it was delicious! I blanched the zucchini first in boiling water. I added a touch of salsa to the cream cheese and black pepper! Yummy way to eat veggies!!