Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've never seen this much in a banana bread. I couldn't even tell it was banana bread. Recipe courtesy of www.carlsbadcravings.com
Cinnamon Walnut Streusel
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup reserved batter (see instructions)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- mini chocolate chip, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray all inside surfaces of a 10 inch nonstick tube pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour or grease and flour the inside of pan. Set aside.
- Cinnamon Walnut Streusel: Add walnuts to your food processor and pulse 3 times. Add flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon and pulse a few times to combine. Sprinkle cold butter over top and pulse until the walnuts are chopped and the mixture resembles small pebbles. You may also combined in a bowl and cut butter by hand. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy on medium high speed, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yellow disappears after each egg. Mix in vanilla and bananas until just combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to banana/butter mixture in thirds, alternately with sour cream in between each third. Beat until just combined. Measure out 1/4 c batter and set aside for cream cheese filling. Stir chocolate chips and walnuts in remaining batter until just combined.
- Measure out 1 cup batter to top cream cheese layer and spoon the rest of the batter into the prepared pan.
- To your now empty mixing bowl, add 1/4 c reserved batter, cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 c sugar. Beat on medium high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Spoon cream cheese filling over batter and gently smooth, but do not touch the sides of the pan.
- Spread reserved 1 cup batter evenly over filling (it will be very thin).
- Tap pan on counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles then sprinkle evenly with cinnamon walnut streusel.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (without inserting in cream cheese). Let baked cake cool on wire rack 1 hour. Gently invert cake onto a baking sheet, remove pan, and invert back onto cooling rack streusel side up. Let cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, whisk vanilla glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl and drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.