This recipe comes from a Southern Living paperback called Christmas Cookies. You can decorate these with colored sugar crystals, assorted candies, and or sprinkles if you so desire! I have a fondness for cookies with cream cheese and enjoy these. Sometimes I use almond or anise flavoring. Note added Dec. 2013: It seems improvements are in need so I am making corrections which are my own since I cannot find the original recipe. I am sorry for the mishaps you have had with the given recipe. I may recommend dividing the dough in thirds and working with smaller amounts.
- Changes were made to the amount of cream cheese, flour, and the addition of 1 egg yolk. I found this made a delicious cookie. If you like you may add up to 1/2 teaspoons salt. We are sensitive to sodium so I use as little as possible.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk and beat well.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended.
- Shape dough into 3 balls and chill thoroughly at least 25 minutes.
- Press dough from a cookie press 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets, using desired shaping discs.
- If desired, sprinkle with sugar crystals, etc. to decorate.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- May decorate with colored icing, if desired.
- Yield: About 4 dozen.