Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In mixing bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 15X10X1 baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting, combine sugar and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes (do not stir).
- Stir in butter and chocolate chips until melted.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir; spead over cake.
Success!! I had two parties for the 4th, so split the batter into 2 disposable 8X11ish cake pans. Turned out great- was a hit at both parties. Would also be a great bake sale item- easy to make- and the recipe makes a lot of batter.
Yummy! Taste and texture were like a pound cake! Only problem, cake "deflated" and was very thin. Works well as a sheet cake cut into squares. We will definetly make this one again!