Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
Makes a nice breakfast with fruit and breakfast meat. From Southern Living.
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- fresh basil sprig
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add egg mixture, and cook, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Sprinkle cream cheese cubes evenly over egg mixture; draw a spatula across bottom of skillet to form large curds.
- Cook until eggs are thickened but still moist. (Do not stir constantly.) Remove from heat. Stir in chopped basil before serving, if desired, and garnish, if desired.
- Note: To lighten, substitute 2 cups egg substitute for eggs and 3 ounces light cream cheese for 3 ounces regular cream cheese. Proceed as directed.
- Sausage-Egg Soft Tacos:.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Scrambled Eggs as directed, substituting 1 seeded and chopped jalapeño pepper for chopped basil. Sprinkle 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas evenly with 1 1/2 cups shredded colby-Jack cheese. Top one half of each tortilla evenly with Cream Cheese Scrambled Eggs and 1 (16-ounce) package cooked, drained, and crumbled ground pork sausage. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup shredded colby-Jack cheese. Fold tortillas over filling. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Makes 6 servings. Prep: 20 min., Cook: 15 min.
Excellent! Made one batch with fresh basil and they were to die for, if you like basil. Made another batch plain, and everyone loved them. Made a third batch to be used in taquitos along with sausage, potato, and cheese. Best taquitos ever! I love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
This was real good. I love the cheesy flavor. I didn't add the basil. Next time i think i will mix the cream cheese in the eggs before scrambling. yum
I threw this together for supper tonight, without seeing the recipe. For one (large) serve I melted a little butter in a skillet over medium heat and tossed in three free-range eggs, a couple of slurps of low-fat milk, around ten fresh basil leaves, a mini tub of lite cream cheese, one chopped vine-ripened tomato, sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, blended everything together and stirred from time to time until it was cooked to my liking. I had it on freshly buttered whole-grain toast. Delicious!