Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious basic recipe for quiche. You can add any combination of fillings to suit your taste.
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie shell
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 lb grated swiss cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup browned sausage or 1 cup bacon or 1 cup ham or 1 cup seafood, your choice (enough to cover the bottom in a single layer. Also very good with sauteed fresh mushrooms and spinac)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion in butter until transparent.
- Cover the bottom of the pie crust with the cream cheese, cut into small pieces.
- Add the meat and onion and top with the grated Swiss cheese.
- Mix together the milk and eggs and nutmeg if using and pour over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for another 30 minutes.
I made this as a crustless ham quiche, subbing cheddar cheese, and baking it for 40 minutes at 350F. We loved the little nuggets of smooth cream cheese. I plan to serve it for our Christmas brunch this year just as I made it for dinner tonight, but I will certainly use it a base for other variations with the suggested meats and seafood. Thanks so much for giving us a low carb alternative to our usual Christmas egg dish...I think this is even better!
This was excellant with chicken and green chilis. Kept everything the same, but added the cooked chicken (4 tenders,cubed) and chilis (1 drained can) Mouthwatering!
Thanks for the great recipe. In someone else's words, "Yummo". The only thing different was that I added 2 tbs. of Bisquick, it made it denser. We all enjoyed it for a light supper. Thanks again.