Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a lovely moist pound cake I got the recipe from a friend I used to work with. Perfect plain or with fruit or ice cream.
- *note:Please do not be tempted to use low fat anything.
- The cake will fall and be very gummy.
- Cream butter and cream cheese for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar and beat thoroughly.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg.
- Add flour and flavoring, Mix until well blended.
- Grease and lightly flour a 10" tube pan and pour batter into pan.
- Place cake in a cold oven.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hour at 285 degrees.
- No matter how tempted DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR WHILE BAKING!
- Cool for 20 minutes in pan after removing from oven.
Wow! I had been using this recipe but the preparation and cooking methods make all the difference! I had not beaten the butter so long in the past and that made for a significantly fluffier cake. Also, the low cooking temperature made for a very moist and tender crumb. Thank you, Danzy, for a delectable pound cake! Note...!!! IT IS IMPORTANT TO USE CAKE FLOUR in this recipe! I had previously made it with cake flour or I used the corn starch substitution noted in other reviews but the last time I made it I felt lazy and thought it would turn out ok with regular flour. Not so! It was a total flop. It was underdone and gummy in the middle and the cake fell about 2 inches as soon as I took it out of the oven. Don't be tempted to try regular flour.
WOW, what a wonderfull cake, i had tried before to make poundcake and it just did not work for me, but this recipe is the best, easy and soooo tasty the cream chesse gives it such a touch wow. i made less because is me and DH only but it was still soooo good. thanks for a great cake!!!!!
This cake is fab! I just have to say though, I used low fat magarine and extra light cream cheese and it came out looking and tasting sooooo great! I saw Danzy's warning but decided to try the low fat versions anyway and halved the ingredients. It still came out wondefully! :) The cake is much too sweet for my liking so will reduce the sugar next time. Great cake, thanks for the recipe!