Recipe by Seasoned Cook
The BEST recipe for a pound cake! My cousin (Catherine) and her mother (Olivette) make cakes for weddings and birthdays. This is their recipe which has become my favorite over the years. The 3 flavorings and the cream cheese make the cake! Be sure and use REAL butter. Check the date on your baking powder to make sure it is still active and not out-of-date so your cake will rise high.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Wonderful cake and very important that butter is used and also thoroughly creamed with the cream cheese and sugar. This is the secret of a good pound cake. Always add 1 tbsp. of brandy to this type of cake, but that is a matter of taste. Does not need icing and keeps well. Highly recommended.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer cream sugar, cream cheese and butter.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each. Add flavorings.
- Sift baking powder, salt and flour together. By hand mixing, add to cream mixture by one-thirds and beat ONLY until blended. (Do not overbeat).
- Grease and flour a 10" tube pan. Fill mixture into pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn out onto serving plate. Place tube pan back over cake to allow cake to "sweat" and retain moisture.
- Cake is better served next day after allowing to "mellow".
- Serve and enjoy!