Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- Butter and flour a 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan; set aside.
- Position oven rack in lower 1/3 of oven; preheat oven to 325°.
- In a bowl, stir the flour and baking powder together, mixing well.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and sugar to a stand-mixer bowl; beat on medium speed with the paddle attachment until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- One at a time, beat in 4 of the eggs, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Decrease mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour, then another egg, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Stop mixer occasionally and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in another third of the flour, then after the flour has been absorbed, the last egg; scrape again and beat in the last of the flour.
- Use the rubber spatula to give a final mix to the batter; scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 65-75 minutes, or until cake is well risen, cracked on top, and well-colored and a pick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for a few minutes, then unmold onto a rack and turn right side up to finish cooling.
- The glaze: combine the sugar, rum, and water in a saucepan; stir until smooth, then heat over very low heat just until lukewarm.
- Drizzle over the cake with a spoon, or use a parchment paper cone, or pour the glaze over to cover the entire cake.