Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
By Martha Stewart. To die for!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more
- unsalted butter, for molds (2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour, plus more
- cake flour, for molds (not self-rising)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons water
- 3⁄4 cup whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter twelve 3.5-inch brioche molds or a standard 12-cup muffin tin. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs and yolks, 1 at a time.
- Add vanilla and 1 1/2 teaspoons water; mix until combined.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined, scraping down sides as needed.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each mold.
- Beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar in the clean bowl of the electric mixer on low speed until creamy and combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture onto batter in each mold; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes; transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve dusted with confectioners’ sugar.