My kids have just as much fun making these as they do eating them. They are a fun item to take as an appetizer to a holiday party.
- Cut a slit lengthwise from top to bottom in each jumbo olive.
- Fill the cavity of each jumbo olive with about 1 tsp of cream cheese.
- (this makes the white stripe of your penguins chest) Cut carrot into 1/4 inch slices, then out of each slice cut a small notch (this is your penquin's feet), save the piece you cut out this will become the beak.
- Cut a small slit in the center of each small olive and press the cut out piece of carrot into the hole with the pointed end out.
- Using a frill toothpick, stack head (small olive), body (large olive) and feet (carrot slice), adjusting so that beak, cream cheese breast and notch in carrot slice line up.
These had RAVE reviews at the party I brought them to. I used onion & chive cream cheese. I found that it was best to fill the tummy, by putting the cream cheese in a zip lock bag and cutting the tip, then piping them into the olive. Then I refrigerated the olives with cream cheese for about 1/2 hour before I assembled them. Then refrigerated before I served. Also if you use a slightly thicker slices of carrot they stand up better rather then using a thinner slice. These were the first thing gone at the party!!
These were delicious. My friends who made them used thin strips of roasted red pepper to make scarves for some of the penguins.
This coming Sunday I host a birthday party for both daughters and I had to try this. I just made one tonite to try it out and I loved how cute they are and easy to make.I'm sure everyone will be impressed.Great instructions.