Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From About.com. These smooth candies are rich with cream cheese and peanut butter, and covered in a layer of decadent chocolate.
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar (may need 1/4 cup more)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- peanuts (optional,for decoration)
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil, set aside.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, 3 cups powdered sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt in the large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Mix the candy on medium speed for several minutes until the mixture is well-combined and homogenous.
- If the dough appears to be too sticky, add the extra powdered sugar and mix until it is somewhat stiff but still pliable and not dry.
- Using a teaspoon or a candy scoop, form the candy into small balls (about 1inch diameter or less) and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the candy in the freezer or refrigerator to chill until set, about 20 minutes in the freezer or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Once you are ready to dip the balls, melt or temper the chocolate according to your preference.
- Make sure to melt the chocolate in short intervals in the microwave or over a double burner, so that it does not overheat.
- Dip the peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate using dipping tools or two forks.
- Return the dipped balls to the baking sheet, and while the chocolate is still wet, top each ball with a peanut half.
- Repeat with remaining candy.
- Place the dipped candies in the refrigerator to set the chocolate. Store the balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.