Recipe by Laura2of7
I took elements of other recipes and combined them into this one. I need a printed copy for a cookie exchange, so I'm posting it here and sharing it wth you all. I just hope no one hates them. :-) Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 1 cup apricot preserves (one 12 oz. jar)
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (a large pinch)
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream first four ingredients together until smooth. (You may add in the yolk from the egg white if you like. I didn't, but it wouldn't hurt.).
- Mix in the flour to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough iinto four equal balls. Flatten and wrap in plastic or waxed paper. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the preserves, either on the stove in a saucepan or in the microwave, using either a glass or ceramic dish. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine nuts with sugar, cinnamon and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll out on a floured surface into a thin circle about 10 inches in diameter.
- Put 1/4 cup of melted preserves on top of the dough and spread evenly, leaving 1/2 inch around the edge uncovered. (Pick off any really large pieces of fruit. It will be easier to roll.).
- Place a "shot" glass upside down in the center of the circle and sprinkle 1/4 of the nut mixture over the rest of the preserve-covered dough. (This also makes it easier to roll. Remove the glass before cutting.).
- With a rotary cutter, or very sharp knife, cut the circle into 12 equal wedges. Roll up each wedge, startng with the outside edge and ending with the point. Turn the ends in to form a crescent, if desired.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat egg white with 1 teaspoon of water and brush on tops. Dust with sugar, if desired.
- Bake until golden, 16-18 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
- Repeat with the other three circles of dough.
- As a variation, omit the apricot preserves and brush the dough with egg wash before sprinkling with nut mixture. Or leave out the nuts and use the preserves alone, with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled on the tops. Either way would be good.