Recipe by stormylee
Like cinnamon rolls, only with cream cheese filling! You can also make a lemon filling by using lemon zest and lemon juice instead of orange if you prefer. This is a Finnish recipe and Finns don't usually go for very gooey and sweet things - the rolls are subtly sweet and have a fresh orange taste. You can add more sugar to the filling if you like, or try making more of it!
Top Review by Susie D
These were terrific for a Sunday breakfast. I liked them because they were flavorful without being overpoweringly sweet. I couldn't visualize slicing on the M pattern, so simply sliced evenly and laid them down on the paper to bake. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
- 250 ml milk
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 100 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- 100 ml melted butter (about 100 g)
- 800-900 ml all-purpose flour
- 100 g cream cheese, softened
- 9.85 ml orange zest
- 29.58 ml fresh orange juice
- 50 ml sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- pearl sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble yeast into a bowl.
- Gently heat milk to 37°C
- Pour milk over yeast and mix until yeast has dissolved.
- Add sugar, egg, salt, cardamom and melted butter and stir; add about 200 ml of the flour and stir.
- Add most of the remaining flour and knead dough by hand, adding flour if needed, until the dough is smooth and elastic and no longer sticks to the bowl nor to your hand.
- Sprinkle some flour on top and cover: let rise for 40 minutes.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Lightly flour the baking board and turn the dough on it.
- Roll dough out to a 35 x 45 cm square.
- Spread the filling on the dough and roll it up tightly, starting from the longer side of the square.
- Cut the roll in 12 pieces (preferably at a slant, first cut leaning to the left, the next to the right, the next to the left etc. -> /\/\).
- Place rolls on a parchmented baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the rolls with beaten egg and sprinkle pearl sugar on top.
- Bake at 200 C for about 13-15 minutes.
- Cover the rolls while cooling.