Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are a favorite at our house.
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1.Beat cream cheese and oil together. Add egg and milk and mix well. If you want to add flavorings add them with the milk and egg.
- 2.Combine dry ingredients and fold in until just moistened.
- 3.Lightly oil the muffin tin and divide the batter evenly. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees then turn down to 400 degrees and bake the muffins for 25 minutes. Makes 12 regular muffins or 6 large muffins.
- •Add 1 cup fresh or frozen berries with dry ingredients.
- •Add 1 teaspoons almond extract and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds.
- •Add 1 cup chopped apple and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- •Combine peel and juice of one large orange with 3/4 cup dried cranberries, refrigerate over night-this one takes a little planning.
- •Replace sugar with brown sugar, add 1/2 cup pecans and 1 teaspoon maple extract.
- •Combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon cinnamon and 4 Tablespoons canola oil, fill muffin cup half full, sprinkle with half of mixture, add remaining batter, sprinkle with remaining topping.
Delicious muffins! I doubled the recipe, using whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup unsalted butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 3 tsp baking powder, and added 2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 cup chopped dried apricots. This yielded 24 muffins, which I baked at 400 degrees for about 23 minutes. They were really moist and chewy with a soft texture. I'd love to try them with different add ins, especially blueberries or strawberries. Thanks for the great recipe, I really enjoyed it.