Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious chocolate brownies with a colorful mint swirl.
- 1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 1⁄3 tablespoons butter (lower amount at high altitude)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 -5 drops green food coloring
- 1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine baking chocolate, chocolate chips, and 1/3 cup butter; microwave on HIGH, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth (cool slightly - 5 minutes).
- Cream together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter and sugar; beat in eggs.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- Spoon half the batter into the melted chocolate, and stir in nuts.
- Drop chocolate by tablespoonsful, checkerboard fashion, into a greased & floured 9" square pan.
- Add peppermint extract and green food coloring to remaining batter, and spoon green batter into spaces between chocolate batter.
- Swirl to marbleize (do NOT over mix).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- To prepare Chocolate Glaze melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients until crumbly.
- Blend in boiling water until glaze is of a pourable consistency (about 2 tablespoons).
- Remove brownies from oven and pour chocolate glaze over top.
- Cut at once into bars, then cool.
I was a little dissapointed in these brownies. They are very thin and a little dry. I liked the flavor of the mint and chocolate together though.