Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These lemon bars begin with cake mix.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) lemon cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, divided
- 2 cups lemon frosting, canned
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Grease a 9 X 13-inch pan.
- Combine cake mix, butter, and 1 egg.
- Stir until moisten. Press into pan.
- Blend frosting into cream cheese.
- Reserve 1/2 cup mixture to frost bars.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add remaining eggs to remaining frosting mixture.
- Beat 3-5 minutes at high speed.
- Spread over base.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and frost with reserved frosting.
- Cut into bars.
I made these the other day and, while they tasted much better the second day, I'll probably not use this recipe again. The 1/2 cup frosting doesn't even come close to covering even half of these bars. I also thought the crust was way too thick, which leads me to believe that part of the crust mix should be left out to put on top of the filling, instead of frosting them. I love lemon, but these just weren't tangy enough for me. I did find another similar recipe, with less eggs and no "frosting". Leaves much more room for adding lemon juice. Thanks anyway.