Recipe by Mirj
This thick and sinfully luscious ice cream really does taste just like a slice of creamy cheesecake.
Top Review by Shannon Cooks
Cream Cheese Ice Cream is a Louisiana Creole specialty. It is unusual yet fulfilling but may not be for everyone. This is not one-size-fits-all like vanilla ice cream. Let me put it this way: if you are someone who lives to lick the beaters and bowl when making a cheesecake, then this is definitely for you. You will LOVE this. If you are someone who does not lick the beaters when making a cheesecake, this recipe is not for you. However, I am in the former category and simply adored this ice cream. I was a bit concerned when I cooked the cream and eggs over the stove because the mixture smelled a bit eggy. I will eat eggs even though I do not like them, but only in dishes where they do not feature prominently. At this point in cooking, I almost threw this into the garbage but decided not to. I am glad I decided to give this a chance because once I stirred in the lemon juice and vanilla this tasted great. The lemon is not overpowering but subdues the egg flavor and enhances the cheesecake taste of this. I really loved this ice cream and I'm happy to post this positive review because this is a fantastic recipe. thanks for posting, Mirj!
- 5 cups half-and-half or 5 cups light cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 beaten eggs
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (Neufchatel) or 3 (8 ounce) packages low-fat cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel)
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- fresh blueberries (optional) or nectarines (optional) or dark sweet cherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine 3 cups of the half-and-half or light cream, the sugar, and eggs.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just till boiling.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer till smooth, gradually beat in hot mixture.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Stir in remaining half-and-half, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to the directions.
- Let freeze for 4 hours.
- Garnish each serving with choice of fresh fruit, if desired.